OPC UA Server

Hi all,

I wonder have anyone of you connect VC to a custom-made OPC UA Server. I’ve tried to connect it with a dummy OPC UA server but the connection failed. I made sure the server is up and running, and the server can be connected using UaExpert. Is this approach a dead end or anyone has some experiences with it?

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to hearing your idea.

Is it a secure connection?

Regards
Feature

The OPC UA client in Connectivity feature of VC requires the connected server to be standard-compliant. This includes that it has to support certain basic services and must have certain valid data model for the “Server” object.

Some OPC UA server libraries will just create and “empty” server by default, which is not standard compliant and thus connecting to it is not supported.

Check the VC application log file for any more detailed errors, or ask VC customer support for more info.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your input. I wonder if VC has a model OPC UA server or any documentations or templates lying around? It would really helpful for me and my learning curve.

BR,
Duc Pham

You can get full data model and address space specifications from the OPC Foundation’s GitHub:

Does your OPC UA server library have capability to load those NodesSet2 files?

The Schema folder seems to contain the full OPC UA standardized model and the others are additions by different companion specifications. The full model is very large and VC doesn’t make use of anything in the Types hierarchy, for example.

I think the free edition of Prosys simulation server has the full model which you can then browse with the Server’s GUI directly to understand it better.