Modified component update in layout

I have modified a VC component. How can I update this component in my layout without losing existing attachments to this component?

1 Like

Save the layout.

If you meant that you changed a component while the layout was not open, make sure the VCID of your component did not change when you saved it, and then reload your layout. One issue, however, is if you are including components/packaging them with your layout. In that case, the layout loads the packaged components instead of pulling them from source in eCatalog, thereby the modified component is not loaded.

If you might find yourself in this situation many times, consider making add-on that exchanges the old component with the new version and remaps the attached nodes to new component.

1 Like

Thanks Zesty, you are correct, I changed the component while the layout was not open, I did not change the VCID.
I am using KukaSim Pro 3.1.2, but I assume the component behaviour is the same.
In Layout Info:
Include components - Not Ticked
Include component original path - Ticked
My component shows under My Models in the eCatalogue.
But when I reload the layout the component shows the unchanged version.

Have I got a wrong setting?
How do I find the Add-on that you recommend?

Thanks
Martin

I am not aware of public add-ons (ones on this forum) that are available to switch out the components. You have to make the add-on, e.g. one similar to how Exchange Robot command works or simple reload of components from source. I had similar issue you had in the past, and I do not remember if this was a bug in VC 4.2, which is what KSP 3.1.2 is based on.

I would have to study your layout file structure to see why it is not loading the component. I don’t remember if you save layout with include components option turned on one time that in turn it keeps loading the packaged component. You could try and test this by saving your layout to new file and reloading it.

Hi, I meet the same problem, have you resolved this? :smile:

Hi, I find that if I add some elements to the component, I have to manually replace the component in the layout…

I had the same, even with the “include components” always unchecked.
Probably something not correct in VC version 4.2.2

Hi all,

I’m running into kind of the same issue with VC Pro 4.3.

My layout will only reload the component existing geometry change (for instance if i change the material of a geometry) but not the behaviors (for instance the python code or adding a property)

The comp has the same VCID
Include components - Not Ticked
Include component original path - Not Ticked

I guess this is known issue, but do you guys have found a workaround ?

This is actually intended behavior. All properties, behaviors and the feature tree of each component are always saved in the layout file, only geometry features can be excluded and thus get loaded from component files.

This allows freedom of customizing the components within each layout, but the potentially heavy geometries don’t need to be duplicated.

Hi @TSy ,

Thank you for your very prompt answer !
In that case, i guess i’ll try to code an add-on.

Do you know if there’s a specific feature request on the forum or should I contact the support ?

Would it be possible to have an option to default exclude behaviors and feature tree, and only save the parts that are changed in the model itself.
So if there are no changes to property values, it loads them from the referenced file.
Also if you add properties, behavior and features to the tree, they are automatically added.