Dynamically creating process steps

Hi,

Is it possible to create/edit process steps via a Python-script? I tried to look at the API documentation but couldn’t find anything directly related to this.

So what I’m looking for is a way to use Process Modeling to simulate production flow based on the results of our fine scheduling data. For example, if the fine scheduling says that Pallet 1 will go to Machine 1 and then to Machine 5, I would need to be able to create this flow for the pallet. The issue is that the routes are dynamic so you can’t really create/know them beforehand.

So I guess I would have a Flow Group for each pallet and then I would define the process steps for the pallets based on the data from the fine scheduler.

Br,
Veikko

Process flow steps are intended to have many implementations, so if the actual operations (processes) that need to be done to a product stay the same then its just a matter of routing to different process implementation (machine). This way you would not need to modify the sequences.

There is full API to modify the products, flow groups, and process flow sequences but doing that when simulation is running is not expected and you may run into issues.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! It seems that I was still just a bit confused about the naming of things in the API. I now managed to create and edit flow sequences via Python.

Do you know what the limitations related to the amount of flow groups and the length of the process steps are? E.g. can you have 100 products that have 200 process steps each?

Br,
Veikko

Its best that you just try your specific scenario with some mockup data. The UI will probably become too slow to be usable at some point but simulation execution speed might not be affected that much.

In any case this is not really an intended or recommended way to do things, but you can try at your own peril :smiley:

Okay, I figured that might be the case! I will see how badly I can break things :smiley:

Thanks for the help,
Veikko

Hi @veikko could you share some example code of how you updated a simple sequence dynamically?