Connection with OPC UA in Visual component cannot read datatype structure from PLC

Hi there,
I tried to make connection with my PLC code with OPC UA. However, i was trying to connect my array of structure element where each structure has 7 Boolean variables in it , the VC OPC UA client could not read this array. However, if I try to share array with only Boolean variables, the client shows thae array elements properly. Is it because, the structure data type is not being handled in the software?
I tried checking if other OPC UA client also has the same issues but using UA expert, the array with structure datatype was accessible. Does this mean OPC UA in general can handle the complex structure datatype from PLC but it is not accessible in Visual Component?
Or am i missing out something and doing anything wrong?
Your guidance in this topic will be much appreciated.
Kind regards

Hi @kshitiz
A problem in some versions prevents you from seeing structures in the OPC UA variable pairing window.
Please install the latest software version (Released on 23/03/2023), to see if this fixes your issue.
Link to download the latest installer: Download Visual Components software - Visual Components

1 Like

VC in general doesn’t have a type system to represent and exchange structured data, only simple types such as Integer and Boolean.

The OPC UA standard has full support for exchanging arbitrary complex data structures as variable values and inside arrays etc. VC does not support those, but many OPC UA servers can also split such data structures into multiple primitive variables, which VC could then pair and communicate one-by-one. Readind and writing whole structures would anyway require splitting into individual properties and signals because of the limited type system.

2 Likes

Thanks Este, downloading the latest version solved the issue.

1 Like