Closing OnRobot RG2 Gripper with Assign

Hello,

I’m currently working with the UR3e and the OnRobot RG2 gripper in Visual Components. Under the tool’s Component Properties, I’ve noticed that the Default ‘J1_ClosedValue’ is set to 40. This seems to be the value used by the gripper to seize objects as needed. However, due to this being the default setting, when I invoke the “set binary” function, the gripper only closes to this 40 value.

I’m looking for a method to fully close the gripper on demand. Would it be possible to achieve this by setting ‘J1 = 0’ via the Assign function? I would appreciate any guidance on how to alter the closure degree of the gripper beyond the default settings.

Thank you in advance for your help.

You can’t use the robot program Assign statement to set properties of other components (that is, other than the robot itself), so probably some scripting would be needed to have variable open / closed positions for the gripper if the component doesn’t support that already.

1 Like

Try to set the ControlMode of the gripper to ExternalAxis:

This will allow you to set the opening value at every movement point in your robots program.

1 Like