VC Experience - Lags with big layouts

Hey together!

We’re using VC Experience to view our layouts in VR with the HTC Vive Pro. But we’re experiencing a great lack in performance as soon as the layout gets bigger. Smaller layouts work just fine and are great to watch but after the .vcax hits about 50 mb or more it starts lagging and the framerate drops dramatically even though the PC is definitely performant enough.

I know the Experience app is still in beta, but i was just wondering if anyone knows any tricks on how to handle the bigger layouts without simplifying them too much. The Android app for example has some sort of slider where you can adjust the level of detail. Wouldn’t an option like that be useful in the desktop version as well?

Best regards
Dubsepp

Heya

If You are using a lot of CAD geometries in layouts, I would recommend that remove all small objects (e.g. smaller that 30mmx30mmx30mm) from CAD models. Also remove small holes, features inside features (that are not visible anyway) and unnecessary grids / components with lots of faces. VC experience is a real time environment and same rules apply than e.g. in computer games.

So any detail that does not add value to overall picture can go =)

I would recommend to do the cleanup in CAD side, but also when importing CAD to VC, test different settings in Filter options.

Hey there eCatTroll!

Thanks for your answer, but thats exactly what i figured would help. And i’m sure it does to a certain point, but im afraid the layout is so big, that it doesn’t reduce it enough. I tried putting in walls so i can’t see half of the layout when im standing in it, but it seems Experience calculates invisible stuff too.

I think an option like “View Distance” would greatly improve the performance without having to split up big layouts.

Hi,

By accident I found out that while holding the “shift” button and clicking the “Launch 3D” button a settings screen will pop-up where you can change the quality settings. However this trick doesn’t work for VR.

So for people who use only the 3D option, this might be helpfull.

Regards,

Hi JobW,

thanks! works in VR too for me? Maybe you didn’t hold shift long enough. Have to try it yet with the big layout though. As far as i can see it mainly reduces reflections.

Best regards

Dubsepp

Hi,

You’re right!

I’ll try it tomorrow as well on my Vive, now I’m also curious!

Regards,