TCP position control via OPC-UA

Forum Forums Visual Components 4.0 General Product Questions TCP position control via OPC-UA

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar hagai.bar 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hagai.bar
    Participant

Hello,

I have a robot which is controlled by a beckhoff PLC  (the PLC sends XYZ positions to the robot).

i have VC professional 4.0 and i wish to simulate the commands sent from the PLC using OPC-UA.

Are there variables i can map to control the TCP xyz/RxRyRz positions directly and not the joints?

Thanks

Chungmin
    Chungmin
    Participant

Recommend to use joints instead of TCP.

1. VC inverse-kinematics is not 100% the same as real robot.
    2. Can assign J1, J2, J3, J4… to VC robot directly.

hagai.bar
    Participant

@chungmin – thanks for the comment,

as i mentioned, the PLC sends X,Y,Z coordinates as well as Rx orientation. is there a way for me to get a specific robot’s inverse kinematics?

if not , as a first step, sending TCP coordinates directly will help as i will be able to extract mid points in the robot’s path to help avoid collisions in the real robot’s path.

Thanks

TSy
    TSy
    Participant

You will need to make separate variables of type double for x, y,  z and rx on the PLC and then expose those through the Beckhoff’s OPC UA server.

On the simulation side you need to create properties or signals of type real for the x, y, z, rx, and make a Python script in the robot component that reads the signal / property values and uses the robot controller behavior to update the robot’s pose.

If having multiple properties / signals feels too unwieldy, you can put them into a string on the PLC and parse that in the script.

hagai.bar
    Participant

Thanks @TSy ,

after watching additional videos (there are really alot) i got to the same conclusion and implemented what you suggested and it works).

Do you have experience with such applications? (PLC to Robot and simulating that). I have a bunch of questions and i don’t want to overflow the forums here 🙂

Thanks,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.