Exported mp4 Videos jerky and not sharp

Hy

with larger layouts I often have the problem that exported videos jerky and not really as sharp as I expect.
I have already tried different settings for the export options.

What can I do to ensure that the exported videos run smoothly?

I would be happy for recommendations. :slight_smile:

Thx & Regards

Feature

1 Like

Do you minimize the application when recording? Do you make the 3D viewport as small as possible to capture what you want? Which render mode do you use? Have you tried using the Blender add-on?

If you want down and dirty with a dash of cayenne, export the simulation as VCAX, open in Experience, enable use of recorded camera movements, and use external screen recorder.

You might also want to double-check that the GPU of your computer is being used by Visual Components program.

When there is shaky, abrupt updates in scene, it is sometimes caused by update rate of frames to render what’s in view.

[Tedious]
If you need to record at real-time, record at 1x speed at intervals and then edit in third-party video editor to combine the different recordings (however many you need to do). If are recording at virtual-time, use a speed that matches well with how fast you are moving the camera.

[If you plan on editing and combing different clips]
In both simulation modes, when moving the camera, start and stop recording after each camera movement with a delay before the next movement because that will give you additional keyframes to work with when editing in post-production. Generally, a 1 or 1.5s delay in real-time is enough.

[Simple]
Another thing to consider is contrast as well as material/color. I always turn off the 3D world grid and use monochrome colors for floor and background with no reflection (you sometimes need reflection to get the colors the way you want them).

[Simple]
Another thing I do is fix the headlight to be top-down. That is, I go to top view in 3D world, fill the scene/zoom out/or go to saved view of max camera height needed for the recording, and then disable the headlight option, thereby locking it. Locking the headlight is what I would recommend you try first.

[Tedious]
For contrast, identify where and when the camera jerks. Consider using a different route for the camera, view or tweak the time to next view in animator program. If the camera jerks at specific geometry like machine doors or pallets with goods on them, see if it is related to lighting or if the material of the geometry has a texture. In that case, consider verifying the look and feel of the camera is good, and then use Blender add-on. I would recommend that if you need the video to be very visible/polished for your audience and if you have the time to render the video in Blender.

1 Like

Hy zesty,

thx for your advices they are really helpfull!

But if I compare the quality of exported videos (avi, mp4) it seems that “avi” has a much better quality. The background color doesn’t flicker as it does with mp4…

Is that just in my PC??

Thx & Regards
Feature

Naturally an AVI will give better results because it is lossless, so no compression. Drawbacks are larger file size and computer resources needed to make the AVI compared to mp4. As a rule of thumb, any layout that has a lot of lines like fences or can cause moiré effect can be tackled by using avi or other lossless format/container.

1 Like