physic joint – strange bahaviour

Forum Forums Visual Components 4.0 Component Modeling physic joint – strange bahaviour

Visual Components Essentials has been officially released, download link

Be sure to read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before start using the Forum.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  maik.poggendorf 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

maik.poggendorf
    Participant

Hi

I’m playing around with physic simulation an found some behaviors i couldn’t understand?

1) Damping with “Damping = 0” ?
    – As you can see, the magnitude is getting smaller and smaller until it stops moving. Why? With zero friction and zero damping it should oscillate endless.

2) Physics Simulation stops unpredicted?
    – Simulation stops at 17 sec with pendulum at 88° – shouldn’t that be 90°?

3) PhysicsJoint XYZ Translation #Locked but i can drag the pendulum when simulation is running. Why?

4) “Reset Simulation”-Button doesn’t reset and render instantly, you need to click into the scene with mouse?

Version: v4.0.2.0 (64-bit)
    OS Name : Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    System Type : 64 Bit Operating System

thanks for your help

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

maik.poggendorf
    Participant

5) “Twist Damping” without effect

AarePikaro
    Participant

Hi Maik,

>1) Damping with “Damping = 0” ?

> As you can see, the magnitude is getting smaller and smaller until it stops moving. Why? With zero friction and zero damping it should oscillate endless.

Yes, unfortunately there’s two bugs that need fixing.

For now you can use workaround:

1. Change “Decimal Accuracy” in “Display” settings to 7

2. Set angural damping to “0.0000001”

That should help to some extent, but still won’t be perfect. It seems PhysX engine isn’t that precise. Even if I rotate the pendulum to upwards position and use absolute zero for linear and angular damping, it never swings more than 90 degrees.

>2) Physics Simulation stops unpredicted?

> Simulation stops at 17 sec with pendulum at 88° – shouldn’t that be 90°?

That’s because of angular damping, which defaults to “0.5” if the value in physics entity is “0”. When I set it to “0.0000001” the pendulum never stops.

> 3) PhysicsJoint XYZ Translation #Locked but i can drag the pendulum when simulation is running. Why?

Grabbing physical objects actually creates a temporary joint, that fights against your joint. In theory we could use weaker joint for grabbing, so that your joint would always win. Although that could decrease the responsiveness of grabbing, in some cases.

> 4) “Reset Simulation”-Button doesn’t reset and render instantly, you need to click into the scene with mouse?

That shouldn’t happen. Can you provide an example layout, and steps to reproduce? Or does it happen always and consistently?

> 5) “Twist Damping” without effect

That whole “Drive Settings” section is experimental. Please ignore it for now.

maik.poggendorf
    Participant

Hi AarePikaro,

thanks for clarification and the workaround.

1) behavior is much better (by the way: decimal of angular damping seems to be limited to 0.001 – below it jumps to 0)

4) Always and constantly! try my layout in first post, please see video attached

5) OK. Remember, when i tried it 1 month ago with 4.0.1 the behavior was different? Looking forward to next release

Best Regards

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chungmin
    Chungmin
    Participant

Wow, this is cool. First time to know NG can do this.

It looks like MSC ADAMS. Awesome! It can do a lot of stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

maik.poggendorf
    Participant

Solution 4) there are two 4.0.2 version flying around (File/Info/Version)

there are two 4.0.2 versions flying around :

– pre-Christmas (4.0.2.0)

– post-Christmas (4.0.2.1) Problem fixed

just reinstall with fresh downloaded installer and check version in VC (File/Info/Version)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.