Can't add Beckhoff ADS server

Forum Forums Visual Components 4.0 General Product Questions Can't add Beckhoff ADS server

Be sure to read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before start using the Forum.

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Jay Jay 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

toni.luomanmaki
    Participant

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/p3pnexwpnas10_data03/02/2844402/html/wp-content/plugins/visitors-online/visitors-online.php:340) in /home/content/p3pnexwpnas10_data03/02/2844402/html/wp-content/plugins/crayon-syntax-highlighter/crayon_wp.class.php on line 220

Dear VC users,

I’m trying to setup  TwinCat PLC connection for my simulation model using the Beckhoff ADS interface. However the ADS interface is not available (the plug icon is not yellow) in VC and i’m not able to add server to my project. I have Visual Studio and TwinCat installed on my computer and i have enabled the connectivity features as well.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

-Toni

felix
    Participant

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/p3pnexwpnas10_data03/02/2844402/html/wp-content/plugins/visitors-online/visitors-online.php:340) in /home/content/p3pnexwpnas10_data03/02/2844402/html/wp-content/plugins/crayon-syntax-highlighter/crayon_wp.class.php on line 220

Hey Toni,

In general the Beckhoff ADS interface should be available if you have at least TwinCat 3.1 ADS (Automation Device Specification) or any version above which includes ADS like XAR (eXtended Automation Runtime) and XAE (eXtended Automation Engineering).

I’ve installed only installed TwinCat 3.1 ADS on my PC and run the PLC in a VM.

I would install one of the below linked ADS versions depending on which version number matches your other TwinCat installation.

TwinCat 3.1 ADS – version 3.1.4020.39

TwinCat 3.1 ADS – version 3.1.4022.2

I hope that fixes your issue!

Greetings Felix 🙂

toni.luomanmaki
    Participant

Hi Felix,

I couldn’t install either one of those packages because another one is older than my current TwinCat installation and the newer one is already installed. I have the newest XAE installed on Visual Studio 2015.

I inspected the log files and there was some errors relating to the ADS. Please, see the attached file.

Regards,

Toni

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

felix
    Participant

Hey Toni,

Unfortunately I don’t know how to fix this error.

I have TwinCat 3.1 ADS – version 3.1.4020.28 installed, maybe there is something of with the newer version. I would give the older version a shot.

If this doesn’t help either, I would recommend contacting the support.

Keep us updated & have a nice weekend!

Greeting Felix

toni.luomanmaki
    Participant

Hi Felix!

Installing the older TwinCat version solved the problem. Now everything works like it should. Thanks Felix for your help!

Regards,

Toni

felix
    Participant

Hey Toni,

Glad we found a workarround! 🙂

But seems like there is an issue with the new TwinCat version then!

Best regards,
    Felix

Edit:

I’ve tested both versions. The old version was fine, like expected, but the TwinCat service of the new version didn’t start at all. I think that could’ve caused the problem.

Jay
    Jay

There might be a workaround for the specific dll version requirement.

Find VisualComponents.Engine.exe.config from your VC installation folder and add this to inside the assemblyBinding element near the top of the file:

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity name=”TwinCAT.Ads” publicKeyToken=”180016cd49e5e8c3″ culture=”neutral” />

<bindingRedirect oldVersion=”4.1.22.0″ newVersion=”4.1.16.0″ />

</dependentAssembly>

This will instruct the CLR to search for version 4.1.16.0 of the TwinCAT.Ads.dll instead of the version 4.1.22.0 our software is built against. You may try targeting other versions of the TwinCAT.Ads.dll available on your GAC as well.

However, if there are functional differences between the dll versions you may get unexpected behavior.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.